Well today is my 24th birthday! I am not going to lie, I love birthday’s, not just mine, but everyone’s! I love celebrating a day that is especially just for you (or in this case me!). So for my birthday, I started out with a 7 a.m. crossfit workout, and I have to admit, it was the hardest workout I have ever done. As I mentioned before, my husband and I started crossfit 3 weeks ago at VO2 Max in Grande Prairie. I cannot say enough good things about them and their staff. They are incredibly knowledgeable and skilled. I would like to share the workout we did today, just so you can think about the butt kicking I took. The workout was called the “Filthy Fifty” (you can youtube the workout to see how it is really done), it is just plain filthy!
The Filthy Fifty
50 Box jump, 24 inch box (I used a 20 inch box)
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings (12 kg for me)
50 Walking Lunge (50 total steps)
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press (35 pounds)
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots (12 pound ball)
50 Double unders
The workout was for Time (which means we had to complete it as fast as we could). My time was 39:52. At least I can only get better! For some of the exercises I had to use less than the prescribed weight or height, as I am not able to use what has been prescribed YET. As we continue crossfit, I will get stronger and will work my way up to what is prescribed.
Since it is my birthday, I decided to indulge a little and make some clean birthday brownies (they certainly don’t taste clean). They look and taste like normal brownies, but less than half the fat and no added sugar. I am not sure if I should have made these delectable treats, because I can’t stop eating them! These are a must try!
8 Pitted dates
1/2 cup Almond flour*
1/2 cup Oat flour**
2 scoops Natural chocolate whey protein (optional)
1/2 cup Natural unsweetened cocoa powder (you can use regular if you can’t find this version)
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 cup Unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree (pumpkin as only ingredient)
1/4 cup Plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Natural honey (for sweeter brownies use 1/2 cup)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
3. Place the dates into a bowl with hot water (I use boiled water from my kettle), and let them sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
4. Add all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Leave to the side.
5. Add all of the wet ingredients, including the dates (be sure to drain them) to a food processor or blender. Blend ingredients until smooth.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the blender and blend until the batter is well mixed.
7. Add the batter to baking dish and use spatula to create an even surface.
8. Bake for 25 minutes and let cool before cutting into.
*You can find almond flour either at your grocery store’s healthy section or at the healthy food store. I use Bob’s Red Mill almond flour.
**I make my own oat flour by adding oats to my blender and blending until it is at flour consistency.